Regrowth after the Sonoma County fires. Credit: Magnetic North Photography
Support Divestment and Public Banking! Together we can defund fossil fuels, protect indigenous and other at-risk communities, AND put money back into our local economy!
ENDORSE THE RESOLUTION for a Public Bank of Santa Rosa today!
Public Banking Benefits in Brief
Activists across the country are increasingly advocating for public banking as a way to ensure socially responsible banking by large institutions such as city and state governments, whose accounts are too big to be insured by local banks. Public banking also offers tremendous local financial benefits, desperately needed in the aftermath of the fires as the City of Santa Rosa will remain in severe financial crisis to build new housing, replace infrastructure, etc. for the unforeseeable future:
It's clear our cities will need more and more money to address and adapt to climate change. It is an idea whose time has come.
Updates From Our Facebook Page
(Facebook feed is currently down. You can go directly to the Facebook page for updates by clicking here.)
Cities and States Considering Starting a Public Bank
[Updated 8/28/2018] Officials in many cities and states as well as concerned citizens and local politicians across the country are actively investigating and pursuing public banking to address chronic budgetary shortfalls as well as address social, ethical and environmental concerns.
19 Cities: Los Angeles, CA • New York City, NY • Oakland, CA • Berkeley, CA • Alameda, CA • Santa Cruz, CA • Eureka, CA • San Mateo, CA • Palo Alto, CA • San Francisco, CA • Seattle, WA • Portland, OR • Washington, DC • Philadelphia, PA • Richmond, CA • Santa Rosa, CA • Denver, CO • Minneapolis, MN • Santa Fe, NM
13 States: New Jersey • California • New York • Alaska • Michigan • Vermont • Colorado • New Hampshire • Massachusetts • Arizona • New Mexico • Illinois • Rhode Island
Existing Public Banks in the U.S.
North Dakota • American Samoa
Though up until this year, the US has had only one public bank, the Bank of North Dakota, there are many public banks throughout the world. To learn more about public banking, see our Facebook page and our Articles, Resources page.
Put your money where your solidarity is. -- Mazaska Talks (money talks)
Please Show Your Support!
- Endorse our proposed resolution to establish a Public Bank of Santa Rosa. The more community support the better, the higher it will be on the city's priorities. The sooner it can help the community.
- Ask local businesses and organizations to endorse.
- Join the mailing list (very low traffic).
- Write letters to the editor to the Press Democrat, the Bohemian, Sonoma County Gazette, etc.
- Attend city council meetings to ask council members to approve a feasibility study as soon as possible. (We will notify you of meetings via the mailing list or check the city calendar.)
- Attend our meetings to strategize.
- Like our Facebook page for occasional updates. Like our posts to share them.
- Get the word out!